Beach Bash 2014
Screaming Lizard
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lifted jeeps ride rough...

I'm a little surprised how rough my jeep rides after the 3" BDS lift. I opted for the nitrogen gas shocks as well. I understand it's a short arm, and they ride rougher... but **** - this thing pounds my kidneys... how much do they soften up over time?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    New Page 1

Lifted jeeps ride rough...

I believe nitro shocks are notoriously a rougher ride. Can't speak from experience other than the three days I had pro comps on my jeep and returned them. The more you lift it the less the control arms are parallel to the ground. Which makes road impacts sort of hit the axle instead of it wanting to go over it. Spring rate makes a big difference as well

Sent via paper airplane

Quote Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
    I believe nitro shocks are notoriously a rougher ride. Can't speak from experience other than the three days I had pro comps on my jeep and returned them. The more you lift it the less the control arms are parallel to the ground. Which makes road impacts sort of hit the axle instead of it wanting to go over it. Spring rate makes a big difference as well

Sent via paper airplane
    Yeah I was told the opposite with the nitrogen/gas shocks. I understand the control arm theory though - the energy is transferred more to the frame then towards the springs with the increase on control arm angle.

If you bought a Jeep for the ride, you screwed up. Yes, a lift will make the ride a little stiffer. I suggest you get used to it, or talk to Villa about a VW.
    Kurt Wobig
    2001 white TJ, 8.8 Detroit locked rear, Dana 44, ARB locked Front. 5.13's, 37" Goodyear MTR's, Spyder Lock Beadlocks, Poison Spyder rocker knockers. Phantom front fenders, Rockhard roll cage, Poison Spyder comp-cut crusher corners and LED tail lights. 3/4 ton Dodge Megacab Tow-Rig

Quote Originally Posted by white lightnin' View Post
    If you bought a Jeep for the ride, you screwed up. Yes, a lift will make the ride a little stiffer. I suggest you get used to it, or talk to Villa about a VW.
    Look, I understand rough rides - I've owned a '45 willys, and a '78 M35A2 Deuce and a half This jeep is absolutely ridiculous - I don't remember it being this bad on the 35's, I think the 31's transfer more energy to the chassis.
    Last edited by pyrex; 06-08-2011 at 02:34 PM.

it will soften up over time, not much but a little

LOL, you think your's rides rough? Come take a ride in mine sometime. I'll show you rough.
    Kurt Wobig
    2001 white TJ, 8.8 Detroit locked rear, Dana 44, ARB locked Front. 5.13's, 37" Goodyear MTR's, Spyder Lock Beadlocks, Poison Spyder rocker knockers. Phantom front fenders, Rockhard roll cage, Poison Spyder comp-cut crusher corners and LED tail lights. 3/4 ton Dodge Megacab Tow-Rig

Ben E is offline "Flopped Club/Roll Over Club" / JOTM - December 2009 LSJC Member
    The BDS are the most supple spring you can get for the TJ, bar none, so if you already know what rough is (you have some comparison and your Jeep really is super rough, not just someone who is comparing it to a caddy) then it must be your shocks. Do you have your old shocks? Try switching them out, or borrow somebody’s and swap them out maybe to test them?
    Did you do the spring install? What type of control arms do you have? Are they stock? If so did you tighten the bolts while the weight was off the springs? If so you can put the bushings in a bind and you will get a super bouncy ride.
    The BDS springs really are the most supple, you should try riding in a Jeep with rancho springs on it… now those are rough springs.
    Ben

You could try Rancho adjustable shocks and what tire pressure are you running?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben E View Post
    The BDS are the most supple spring you can get for the TJ, bar none, so if you already know what rough is (you have some comparison and your Jeep really is super rough, not just someone who is comparing it to a caddy) then it must be your shocks. Do you have your old shocks? Try switching them out, or borrow somebody’s and swap them out maybe to test them?
    Did you do the spring install? What type of control arms do you have? Are they stock? If so did you tighten the bolts while the weight was off the springs? If so you can put the bushings in a bind and you will get a super bouncy ride.
    The BDS springs really are the most supple, you should try riding in a Jeep with rancho springs on it… now those are rough springs.
    Ben
    I torqued down the control arm bushings while the jeep was off the lift. I have factory control arms. Pitched the factory shocks already - oh well! haha. Maybe I was just being a little girly last night. I've only driven it 103 miles since I've owned it, so probably just need more seat time. I was also driving some pretty garbage streets.